Monday, March 29, 2010

2 escaped dogs

From Deb Gring:

This morning on my way to work while on Monclova Road near St Lukes I spied 2 dogs standing in the middle of the road. A car stopped on the other side of the road and the dogs wagged their tails and ran up to it. Oh no I thought, someone dropped these guys off and they are looking for someone. I pulled over and rolled down the window, “are these your dogs?” I asked the lady. “Yes, they got loose and I have been driving around for a half hour looking for them!” she replied. She was out of the car and coaxing the dogs to get into the car when they bolted across Monclova and up into the parking lot of a medical building. I pulled in as the owner was facing the other way on Monclova to see if we could capture them.

They ran up to a lady going into the building and she was able to grab the collar of one for the dogs and walked back towards me. I grabbed its collar and their owner was getting the one dog into the car. As soon as she turned towards me to get the other dog, the first dog jumped out. What a mess! Finally we got them both in the car and she headed home.

I couldn’t help but think about those dogs, the situation could have been so much worse. I don’t know her situation, I don’t know if they bolted from the door, if they dug under or went over their fence or what. The sad story is too many dogs like these get loose from their homes and their owners cannot find them or do not try to find them. They end up wandering the streets. Many get hit and killed or injured. Many end up at the pound. Some end up in rescue organizations such as Planned Pethood.

We need to remember dogs are like children, if they see an open door they run and follow their noses. We need to protect them from danger by providing them a safe place to play, run, eliminate and explore. These two very nice friendly dogs could have easily become statistics. Thank goodness they didn’t. Of course we have all had dogs get out of their yard or homes unexpectedly. If you own dogs just keeping your fences patent and teaching your dogs “back” at the exits to your house will help immensely. If you don’t have a fenced yard for them to play in, please be sure to walk them with leashes or utilize tie outs for your beloved companions. “COME” is a good command for your dog to know too. Just think of these two dogs and how much worse this situation could have become. The best behaved dogs in the world can still become roamers at the drop of a hat.

Vigilance! Training! Patience and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment