Tuesday, October 27, 2009

This post is probably gonna be rambling. Sorry no map provided.

I'm trying to write the holiday mailing that goes to the home of anyone that supports PPI. It's usually the only time during the year some of the people hear from us. The message has to be short and has to show how we have wisely spent our money.

The trouble is that we have too much to say. We have saved so many lives and saved so many from rotten homes. How do I only write about a few? Animals have died while in our care because they were so sick by the time someone called asking us to help. I want everyone to know about those animals. Those cats and dogs deserve to be honored but I can't due to lack of space and lack of attention span of the normal reader.

The trouble is that most people don't want to know all the gory details. They aren't comfortable with that much ugliness. Our volunteers are hip deep in ugliness sometimes.

I also want to write about how our volunteers agonize over the care of the animals. They also agonize about the animals we get calls about and we simply don't have the space to help. To add insult to injury, we usually get a phone call and/or email blasting us for being heartless and cruel for not taking the animal they have called about. Personally, I would like to talk to all those people and ask them why they think they way they do. I wish we could tell all our supporters about more of those stories. So they can better understand that while they are helping us greatly by donating goods and money- others might not have money but instead get spit on for their efforts. Literally spit on. It's happened to me years ago.

I want the people that don't check in on us often to realize how we are sooooo much better than other rescues. But I have to be nice and not mention things like that. I want everyone to see what we are doing and the positive things we are doing for our community in the bright light of day. Then they would be so inspired the people wanting to volunteer would be coming in droves. YAHOO!

But I can only use up a page worth of text. So all those details about dogs like Farrah and cats like Sheegwa get left out. All those ugly stories about dying kittens and puppies don't get spoken about. I wish, I wish, I wish.

Wish me luck we can make it a powerful message dispite the brevity. Fingers crossed we can keep moving in the right direction.

--Nikki Morey
Executive Director for Planned Pethood

No comments:

Post a Comment